ARE YOU FEELING DEPRESSED?
Depression is multi-faceted and this test is intended only as an indication – seek professional medical advice if you feel depressed or are in any way uncertain.
IT’S AN EASY MISTAKE TO MAKE
If you experience depression then you know you can’t just snap out of it. Especially if you’ve tried different techniques or been on anti-depressants or in counseling for a long time it’s easy to think that you’ve tried everything or that nothing will help. If you experience depression or know someone who does, don’t give up hope before you’ve read this article and contacted me.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION
· You feel sad or cry a lot, get irritated often and overreact, or you feel ‘nothing’ a lot of the time.
· You feel guilty for no real reason; you feel like you’re no good; you’ve lost your confidence.
· Life seems meaningless or like nothing good is ever going to happen again.
· You don’t feel like doing a lot of the things you used to like and you mostly want to be left alone.
· It’s hard to make up your mind. You forget lots of things, and it’s hard to concentrate.
· You sleep a lot more, have trouble falling asleep or wake up really early in the morning.
· Your eating habits change; you’ve lost your appetite or you eat a lot more.
· You feel restless and tired most of the time.
· You think about death, or feel like you’re dying, or have thought about committing suicide.
THE CAUSES OF DEPRESSION
Although there are some common causes of depression (listed below), we are all different:
· Excessive and prolonged stress and anxiety
· Unresolved emotional issues
· Deep seated beliefs and feelings of unworthiness
· Genetic / hereditary causes
· Unfulfilled dreams and a lack of purpose
· Chemical imbalances or a lack of vital nutrients in our bodies
The reasons for depression are mostly unconscious and a lot of people don’t know why they feel depressed. That’s ok – there is help!
CRITICALLY IMPORTANT & OFTEN MISUNDERSTOOD ASPECTS OF DEPRESSION
· Depression is not who you are. It’s not that you are depressed, it is that you feel or experience depression; it is something separate from you. Even making small changes in the way you think and speak about depression will help you start the process of uplifting your depression.
· Depression is often an unconsciously learnt strategy. This does not mean that you are actively or consciously ‘trying’ to be depressed or that it’s your fault, all in your head or that you’re making it up!
· Even though this may seem counter-intuitive at first, your state of depression is trying to protect you from actual or perceived emotional, physical or other pain and discomfort. It is not an enemy to be destroyed; it is an ally that’s simply not going about things in the best way. The more you work with it rather than against it, the better your chance of working through it and enjoying life again.
· I often think of depression as a gift, in painful ‘wrapping paper’. It is by unwrapping this painful wrapping paper and opening ourselves up to receive the gifts in the experience of depression that we can finally let go of the pain.
The natural chemicals in our bodies and brains play a significant role in the way we feel. Some people that experience depression have measurable chemical imbalances and others don’t. At a time in my life that I felt severely depressed (and had been for months), medical tests showed normal levels of all the essential natural chemicals and nutrients in my body. The good news is that the methods I use work – whatever your situation.
For some, anti-depressants can be an important part of getting better; a 3 month course that I took in 1998 probably saved my life. At the same time I believe that anti-depressants mostly do not address the underlying issues that cause depression in the first place; the techniques that I use release and re-pattern these effectively and naturally.
Always consult with a health expert before you stop taking prescribed medication.
Many people who experience How Does Grief Counselling Work use a variety of support and techniques to help them through tough times and I strongly recommend that clients initially keep all their current positive support systems intact e.g. medication, working with a health practitioner, a 12-step program, yoga etc.
MY OWN STORY
It was my own experience with depression that led me to specialise in treating it.
I experienced severe depression at various times in my life and experimented with all sorts of therapies and counselling like psychotherapy, reiki, crystal healing, homeopathy, meditation, affirmations and acupuncture.
My first EFT in 2003 helped me to shift more of the heavy emotion I was feeling at the time than I thought was possible and I knew at that moment that I wanted to learn the technique. I now specialise in showing others how to uplift their depression because I understand the hopelessness and despair that often comes with depression, and the delight of being through it!
I am the living proof that it is possible to overcome depression and to live a rich and fulfilling life. Wouldn’t you rather have someone who has personal experience of depression help you with yours?
WHAT IS POSSIBLE FOR YOU
With the discovery of ‘Energy Therapies’ (like EFT) and techniques including EFT, NLP and Hypnosis it is now possible to experience deep personal change much quicker than ever before.
· release your energy blocks to set yourself free from depression
· interrupt non-helpful thinking and behavior patterns
· install a deep sense of worthiness and well being
As your depression starts lifting (most people experience relief even after the first session) and you start feeling better it starts up a new, positive cycle – the better you feel, the better you feel!
WHAT IS EFT
The meridian points in our body are like the electrical outlets in our homes and the meridian lines are like the wiring that connects them. If the wires in your home got cut or blocked then electricity couldn’t flow through them and your electrical appliances or lights won’t work. It’s the same with us – if the energy flows in our bodies get disrupted or blocked in any way then we start feeling unwell and this could manifest as physical disease or pain, or emotional discomfort such as fears, phobias, anxiety, stress and depression.
EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) is a technique that uses our body’s natural ability to heal itself by (literally) tapping into the body’s energy system to release ‘energetic blocks’. It combines body/Mind science with acupuncture (without needles).
By tapping on some of the meridian points on our bodies while using language in a specific way EFT releases these blocks, allowing the energy to flow freely, allowing ourselves to get well again – often very quickly and when nothing else will.
WHAT IS NLP
NLP is a very effective way to interrupt unhealthy or unhelpful patterns of thinking and behaviour and replace them with more healthy and helpful thoughts and actions so that you can move ahead in your life powerfully.
NLP utilizes a variety of techniques including the purposeful use of language, anchoring positive emotional states into your body so that you have access to them any time you want and actively using your imagination to create the change you want in your life.
WHAT IS HYPNOSIS
Hypnosis is simply a way to communicate with our unconscious minds and make the changes at the deepest levels where it matters. Used in this context it is nothing like ‘stage hypnosis’, you are not ‘put under’ and certainly cannot be made to do anything against your will. Quite often it’s like being told a story and most people find it quite relaxing.